Friday, April 16, 2010

Blinkers, Unmade Beds, and Bad Customer Service

A word or two on pet peeves.

I wanted to take this time to touch on pet peeves. We all have them, and although we may categorize them differently the end result is usually the same: annoyance.

Here are a few of mine.

1. Blinkers. God through man put blinkers on automobiles to be used.

2. Unmade beds. I detest an unmade bed. If I take a nap at 3:30 in the afternoon I have to remake the bed. Note: This does not apply to beds in other people's homes. I don't care how your beds look all day, but 99 times out of 100 mine are made before 8:00 am.

3. Bad Customer Service. My parents owned their own business most of my formative years, and during said time period I often worked the cash register--not glamorous, but excellent for spending money. My dad and my aunt were usually in charge, and both were sticklers for excellent customer service. As a result I place an incredibly high value service as a whole. From waitstaff to telemarketers I expect superior service, and when it's bad I do not hesitate to write a letter or call a manager about it. (Ask the kind (or not so kind) folks at Columbia Gas--there's a scathing letter in their BBB file.) I'm quick to praise--do a good job and your boss might get a note detailing how well our family was treated. Feedback is important. If we allow people to continue using rude and demeaning behaviors we shouldn't expect anything to change.

Which leads us to...
4. COMPLAINERS--who complain just to complain, they aren't going to do anything substantial to solve the problem (it is, of course, the responsibility of someone else) so they just complain to hear themselves talk. Awesome. I could expound for hours here--but it's closing in on bed time.

Now you've read about a few of my pet peeves--let's hear yours. Anyone?

B

3 comments:

  1. People who drive slow and REFUSE to get over in the left hand lane on the highway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely topic...

    I "second" the following:

    Bad Customer Service: "How a person treats a waiter/waitress is a reflection of how he/she treats all people..." - Anonymous. I don't believe that is absolute truth, but certainly is suggestive. Also, were talking about people here. Who knows, poor "Susie" or "Steven" who brought you a BLT or answers the phone might have broken up with a significant other, got a speeding ticket that morning, or is just having a bad day. We all have. Eye contact, "please", and "thank you".

    Complainers: Nobody likes "that girl/guy". "Debbie Downer's" and "Negative Nancy's", you know who you are and stop it...stop it.

    Oblivious, Left-Lane, Drivers: Stop on Lesley...one additional note. How can that person, who refuses to leave the left lane, be utterly absent-minded as he/she gets passed by frustrated drivers in the right lane and still think nothing is wrong? Why do you think eight people have passed you in the right lane, stupid idiot?

    A few personal pet peeves:

    The usage of the word “guesstimate”.

    The BCS and NBA.

    Reality TV.

    The expression “…just kidding.”. It is used as a half-hearted defense for an awkward or insulting comment; for example, “Wow…you hair looks really bad today. Just kidding…”. My biggest problem is that when people say “just kidding” they almost always are in fact not kidding at all.

    The lack of respect for proper grammatical accuracy when blogging, texting, e-mail, etc. I’m aware that technological have allowed people to communicate instantaneously; however, capital letters and punctuation still exist, run-on sentences were and are still confusing, and if you can’t put time into properly structuring a e-mail/post/text, I view it as lack of care/disrespect (tall tale, but somewhat true). E-mail, Facebook, and texting are already impersonal enough…

    My “two cents” (I also hate pennies…).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I not sure I want David to read my comment. Grammatical accuracy... oy.

    Could we add:

    1. Chewing with your mouth open. Anything. Gum, food... The mouth opens, the mouth closes.

    2. Eating while on the phone. Really? You cannot wait a couple minutes? I mean, I snack and sometimes eat while on conference calls. But, full on, all out smacking? Urgh. It makes me want to throw up. So (smack, stick, suck, smack) I was (slurp) wondering (smack) if we could have that menu (suck, slurp) above the logo? (glug glug glug)

    3. Where are you "at"? Where did you get that "at"? How are you... "good"... I think I might be turning slightly into David on this one. Do not place "at" at the end of your question. Where are you? Much better.

    How are you? "good"?????? You are well.

    See... now you have me started. :)

    ReplyDelete