Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sunny Days+ Good Runs=Changed Perspective

I ran eight miles today and it totally rocked. Tuesday I ran five and it didn't.

Today the sun is brilliantly shining and the snow is (finally) melting. Tuesday it was cold and dreary.

Funny how two days changed my outlook and somewhat altered my caustic state of mind.

Here's the deal. I'm not back sliding on my rant from Tuesday, but I am ready to admit that it was, perhaps, harsher than it needed to be. For that, I do apologize. My aim was not to hurt feelings or cause friction between myself and people I care deeply about--I wanted to trigger action and change. Let me be the first to say I could have gone about it in a kinder gentler way.

I am sure to some my ramblings (or as my father put it--my rumblings) seemed self righteous, morally superior, and smug--I can unequivocally say that wasn't my intent. In fact--if I've learned anything through my experience it's that I don't get to make choices OR judgments about how other people spend their money. Sure, we may not agree, but the only money I'm actually responsible for spending is my own (and Ben's too, of course.)

I'll still gladly stand on my soapbox, hold my placard, and write what I believe, but from now on I'll at least think about tempering my rants. (Notice, I said I'd think about it---no promises. I've always freely (and sometimes brashly) spoken my mind, not sure I'm ready to change that just yet.)

So--go therefore and do good. Buy someone you don't know lunch. Hold a door. Use manners that would make your mother proud.

Oh, and run too. Remember to drop me a line if you're willing to put feet to pavement. :)

B

3 comments:

  1. Your 'rumbling' kicked my butt into gear. :)

    I will put walking (cannot run) feet to the pavement here in Grand Haven! Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counts! You're added to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes rants are needed and necessary. but, thanks for the follow-up too. your honesty is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete